Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Swiss Bug!


This little fella was found basking in the sun on one of my Phygelius plants. It is a plant bug of which there are approx. 7000 species! I'm pretty sure it is the Lucerne Bug or Adelphocoris lineolatus.

You will note that there is a prominent triangular area known as the cuneus, just in front of the membrane, and it often differs in colour from the rest of the wing. Clinchers in identifying this particular species should be two black pronotal spots on the thorax (above the white triangular area) and very long tibial spines. Both these features cannot be easily seen from my photograph. I will of course be out in the garden searching for this lovable little character again as soon as possible.

It can be found between July and October mainly on lucerne, clover and other leguminous plants in both wet and dry grassland. It is sometimes a pest of garden flowers! I have examined the leaves of my Phygelius and there are many with huge chunks missing.

I have looked up the definition of Leguminous plants: A large group of pod-bearing plants (including acacia, peas, beans, alfalfa and clover) whose roots contain nodules with nitrogen-fixing bacteria, and are thus able to absorb nitrogen from the atmosphere and converted into a form useful to plants. I'm not sure how Phygelius fits into this category and I cannot find any pests or diseases related to this plant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home