Saturday, July 04, 2009

Nature can seem unkind

21st June.

I found this rather beautiful caterpillar on my Variegated Yellow Loosestrife
Lysimachia punctata 'Alexander'.



My wife Bron, who is very good at identifying caterpillars, tells me this is the larva of the Light Knot Grass moth Acronicta menyanthidis. What confused me was the two white marks on the last two Abdominal Segments.
The foodplants of this moth are Heather, bog myrtle, bilberry, birch, sallow and other plants! Therefore, as this was found on Yellow Loosestrife, then I guess this counts as the 'other plants'.

I have never recorded the Light Knot Grass moth in my garden, therefore I have transferred the caterpillar to my rearing tent, along with some fresh leaves.


27th June.

Alas, as this picture shows, two small white larvae have emerged from the caterpillar, which now appears to be dead.



Perhaps it has been parasitised by Ichneumon wasps, which I do see regularly around the garden.

If anyone has any idea on the species of parasite, then please let me know.

2 Comments:

Blogger Martin Harvey said...

Hi Tony, can't help with the parasites, but I think the caterpillar must be the normal Knot-grass moth - look for it on www.ukleps.org, they have a photo of a half-grown Knot-grass that matches yours well. Light Knot-grass is a northern species that has never been found in Berkshire.
All the best,
Martin

8:40 pm  
Blogger Tony Towner said...

Thanks Martin for putting me right.The ukleps web site clearly shows the white subdorsal markings on the Knot Grass.I have been following the book "Caterpillars of the British Isles" by Jim Porter.As good as this book is,it can't show every larval stage that this web site shows.I have bookmarked the site and will be using it along side the book.
Best regards, Tony.

8:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home