Tuesday, January 19, 2010

New Bird added to the garden list


On Tuesday 5th Jan, it started snowing during the evening and by the next day the depth in the garden was measured at 35cm. On Sunday the 10th, the snow still hadn't shifted, and being housebound I was keeping a close eye on the garden birdlife. It was then that I noticed a strange bird in the garden eating the cut up apples that I had put out for the Blackbirds and Song Thrush. I couldn't believe my eyes, but I recognised it straight away to be a Fieldfare Turdus pilaris. This bird turned out to be a real bully as the Blackbirds and Song Thrush could not get a look in. Even when it was full up it would go and perch on the garden fence and guard the apples, and woe betide anyone else who had the cheek to take a bite. The snow had disappeared by the 17th and so has the Fieldfare. The Blackbirds are back and it is now their turn to chase away the Song Thrush.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jen said...

You are very lucky. Hopefully some day we will get one in our garden, (aslong as Peanut doesn't scare the birds away!)

9:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home