Friday, April 02, 2010

First Moths of the year

On the 1st January this year, my two children, Paul and Jenny, gave me a Robinson type Moth Trap for my 60th Birthday present. Since then, I have been putting it out twice a month on suitable dry nights at weekends. It wasn't until the 27th March that I caught my first Moths of the season. These were as follows:
Small Quaker - 5 : Hebrew Character - 1 : Lead-coloured Drab - 1
The Lead-coloured Drab (Orthosia populeti) is shown above, and is the first time I have recorded this species in the garden. The Clouded Drab is far more commoner than the Lead-coloured Drab, and is the more usual species to be recorded in a Berkshire garden. However, the forewing looks round tipped and there appear to be black marks on the inner edge of the outermost cross line, which almost certainly make it a Lead-coloured Drab.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home